The Youth Sports Complex, began as Youth Sports, Inc. (YSI), in 1983 with the mission to “provide and maintain athletic facilities for the youth of Lawrence.” The land, which consists of 55 acres owned by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, was leased by YSI starting in 1984. In 1995 the City of Lawrence and YSI became joint leasees after the City of Lawrence leased the 1515 acres from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers which YSI is a part of.
Initial Development of the YSI complex consisted of fifteen soccer fields, five football fields and two baseball diamonds. Donations, corporate sponsors and fund raising events paid for over $300,000 of the initial development costs. In 1992 the City of Lawrence provided funding for two additional baseball diamonds and lighting for all four diamonds at a cost of $250,000. The City of Lawrence Parks and Recreation Department agreed to pay for the project in exchange for equal use of the YSI baseball diamonds. In 1995 and 1996, $523,000 from a 1% Douglas County sales tax, was spent for capital improvements at the complex, including water, sewers, restrooms and concession building and some paved parking.
DESCRIPTION OF PARK
Today, the Youth Sports Complex has 23 soccer fields, five football fields, four baseball diamonds and a practice area. The complex is an ideal location for youth sports tournaments, as well as programming by Parks and Recreation Department staff.
It is also used by the Kaw Valley Soccer Association and Lawrence Youth Football.
The amenities of the park include: